The Investment Real Estate Group of Companies is seeking a York, PA based Controller to work directly with the Chief Operating & Financial Officer.
The Investment Real Estate Group of Companies (IREGC) is comprised of real estate centric entities focused on the self storage industry. The various companies provide brokerage services, feasibility studies, property management, development and construction services, general self storage consulting and insurance products. In addition, we own a portfolio of self storage properties. Our market area includes the eight States in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast.
IREGC currently employs 40 people overall with 14 of those in the home office. We have converted an old stone grist mill built in 1831 and the adjoining miller’s house into our offices. The setting is rural and safe. We strive to maintain a friendly, family-like work atmosphere. At times the work can be hectic and other times very mellow; adaptability is key. IREGC employees are team oriented where all colleagues wear many hats and help each other succeed. While business is the priority, colleagues are encouraged to live healthy, balanced lives. Our company is guided by the core values of doing the right thing for our clients; being enthusiastic, energetic, tenacious and competitive; driving the miles, working hard and smart; having fun; and being caring, compassionate and authentic. We are rapidly growing, and this is an excellent opportunity for the right candidate.
Reporting directly to the Chief Operating & Financial Officer of IREGC, we are seeking a Controller who will:
- Be scrupulously organized and detail oriented, yet have an understanding of the big picture.
- Work thoroughly and independently, getting things done in a professional manner.
- Present a positive impression to the firm’s customers, employees and stakeholders.
- Be extremely pro-active in supporting operations and administration.
- Be open and embracing as new ideas and projects that come up.
- Be a lateral thinker and problem solver.
- Possess a positive “can do” attitude, no matter what the situation.
The Controller will play an integral role in driving company growth by streamlining back office operations and providing management with the analytical support needed to make key business decisions. The position will entail building strong cross-functional relationships throughout the organization, and translating multiple assumptions into a balanced accounting and reporting plan.
Beyond developing strategic financial accounting and reporting processes, other specific functions and duties of the position include, but are certainly not limited to:
- Provide direct and indirect supervision to an accounting team of two with an emphasis on developing and mentoring that team and delegating day-to-day departmental responsibilities.
- Support the business through the provision of timely, accurate and meaningful financial information for decision-making.
- Direct all general accounting functions, including the monthly general ledger and financial closing processes.
- Prepare and deliver internal management reporting.
- Decision-making and implementation of significant finance and administrative business policies, processes and procedures.
- Analyze historical results and future projections; suggest methods of improving the underwriting process as appropriate.
- Act as the primary liaison to owners, partners and investors.
- Review the monthly departmental calendar and ensure completion by scheduled deadlines.
- Build relationships cross-functionally to foster collaboration both inside and outside the accounting team.
- Supervise General Ledger, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Fixed Assets, Payroll and other outsourced human resource activities.
- Explore and recommend opportunities for process improvement.
- Lead ad hoc finance projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
We are looking for someone who thrives in an environment of growth, change and creativity with each day being a little different from the last. We’re also looking for someone who likes and is capable of working independently. We’re looking for someone grounded, operational and organized.
Our ideal candidate will:
- Add energy to every conversation.
- Tell a joke at no one’s expense.
- Offer help to the team before being asked.
- Highlight good work from your team members.
- Leave things more organized than you found them.
- Get smarter at your job through training and/or books.
- Figure out what didn’t work.
- Surface and highlight difficult decisions.
- Encourage curiosity.
- Ask why.
We’re looking for someone with at least eight years or more of progressive experience, including as a Controller, with glowing personal references. The Controller position requires a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance. Advanced degrees and certifications are preferred but not required. Additionally, this role will have public company reporting responsibilities that require a solid understanding of US GAAP and overseeing SOX internal control compliance. Real estate experience is a plus but not required. And of course, a pleasant and engaging personality is a must.
- Please fill out the following online questionnaire: https://forms.gle/8AiP8hgRys9yz8F86
- Also email your resume and cover letter to: [email protected]
- We will then contact you for further details and to set up a time to connect via phone or Skype for a preliminary interview.
- We will meet with the final applicants in person.
We look forward to hearing from you,
The IREGC Team