Chief Investment Officer
- York, PA
- Home Office
Reporting directly to the President & COO, the Chief Investment Officer will play an integral role in driving company growth by sourcing, evaluating, and executing on all acquisition strategies. The position will also be responsible for the overall leadership and management of the Acquisitions and Asset Management team to ensure sound implementation of the companies’ investment policy.
The Investment Real Estate Group of Companies (IREGC) is composed of real estate-centric entities focused on the self-storage industry. In addition, we own and operate a portfolio of 70 locations with a stated goal of reaching 100 stores by the end of 2025. Our market area includes thirteen states in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern regions, and beyond. IREGC provides property management, development & construction services, and insurance products. Learn more at www.irellc.com.
IREGC employees are team-oriented where all colleagues wear many hats and help each other succeed. While business is the priority, colleagues are encouraged to live healthy, balanced lives. Our company is guided by the core values of doing the right thing for our clients, being engaged, enthusiastic and competitive, working hard and smart, being positive, being compassionate and authentic, and having fun and celebrating success.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
The Chief Investment Officer is responsible for leading the Acquisitions and Asset Management team in acquiring new properties and maximizing the total value of the company’s self storage portfolio. Historically, the company has acquired 10-12 properties annually with a total value of $100MM to $115MM. With the addition of this role, the goal will be 18-24 properties annually with portfolio values that may exceed $500MM. The Chief Investment Officer role will also be responsible for building new and nurturing existing relationships with investors, financial institutions, and other key IREGC stakeholders. The primary responsibility of this position is to raise $50M to $100M in equity in year 1. Additional duties of the position include, but are certainly not limited to:
- Integrate quickly and fully into the Senior Leadership Team as a trusted, collaborative voice that exhibits and reinforces the culture and values of the organization.
- Provide leadership to all M&A initiatives including identifying potential acquisition targets, underwriting, facilitating due diligence, negotiating terms, determining deal structure, and overseeing post-acquisition integration of people, systems, and processes.
- Proactively maintain and review ongoing performance reports related to the financial and operational performance of the asset or portfolio in conjunction with budgeted expectations, operational metrics, and underwriting returns.
- Refine investment processes and spearhead deliberate, intentional strategies for acquisitions and asset management.
- Work closely with internal management teams to review, approve, build, and manage capital expenditures budgets for assets.
- Contribute to the development of strategic goals and objectives, as well as the overall management of the organization.
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping leaders informed of all critical issues.
- Exhibit emotional intelligence and a confident attitude that builds immediate credibility with company leaders, the acquisitions/asset management team, and the broader employee base.
- Represent the company well – externally to the general public, government agencies, business partners, and internally to strengthen the team.
- Actively participate in the self storage industry and enhance and protect the reputation of the IREGC, our people, and principals.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality through efficient practices with a hands-on approach.
- Establish and monitor staff performance including development goals, accountabilities, annual performance appraisals, and salary adjustments.
- Utilize new and improved technology, where appropriate, to maintain a company-wide competitive edge.
- A minimum of 7 years in a senior, commercial real estate investment and acquisition role including public, private, and alternative placements.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a leadership role as a professional in a multi-faceted organization.
- Bachelor’s degree is required. An advanced degree in Finance, Real Estate, Business, CFA designation or a related discipline is preferred.
- Deep understanding of both debt and equity capital markets.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated community involvement, a plus.
- Proven leadership skills, paired with exceptional team management capabilities.
- Ability to excel in a high-energy, evolving environment.
- Creative, solutions-oriented, impactful team player
- A pleasant, positive, and engaging personality is a must.
Click here to apply.
We look forward to hearing from you.
The IREGC Team